Human beings have been making symbols and writing for thousands of years and the in-built urge to do this is still very much with us today - just look at the doodles that are left on notepads by the telephone. It is this innate need to express ourselves that make promotional pens such an inspired gift idea. There are a number of different options available when choosing writing implements.
- Ballpoint pens are the obvious choice but have you ever wondered how these little marvels work. Each pen is tipped with a small metal ball made from brass, steel or tungsten carbide and the viscous ink is drawn from the internal reservoir by the rolling action of this ball when the pen is in use. Modern ballpoint pen design has eliminated the old problems associated with earlier models that relied solely on gravity feed.
- Gel pens are similar to ballpens but a gel pen uses ink which consists of a pigment suspended in a water-based gel. The thick, opaque nature of the ink makes it show up more clearly on dark or slick surfaces than inks used in ballpoint or felt tip pens. Writing with a gel pen provides a smoother flowing writing experience like a good fountain pen.
- Marker or felt tip pens contain their own supply of ink which is delivered through a porous tip which is usually made from felt or nylon. They can be branded in the same way as the more usual pens but have very different uses as they are able to write on surfaces that other pens can't. Glass, plastic, metal, and fabrics can all be permanently marked for identification and security.
- Highlighters are a form of felt-tip pen containing vivid, translucent ink which is used to mark certain sections of documents to draw attention to them.
- Fountain pens have developed over the years from the old fashioned dip pen and before that the quill. The main advantage is that the fountain pen has a refillable internal reservoir for the ink which is delivered to the nib by a combination of gravity and capillary action and this means that very little pressure is needed when writing. A good quality fountain pen is always well received when presented as a gift.
All of these products will make excellent promotional gifts in their own right but there is also the opportunity to explore various combinations to make individual sets which can be supplied in presentation boxes. Whether ballpoint pens, gel pens, marker pens, highlighters, rollerballs etc., all can be supplied with your company branding emblazoned across it from